Empowering young people and communities to build a just, sustainable and inclusive Europe, where every person can thrive in body, mind and spirit.
YMCA Europe Strategy Embracing Vision 2030
As a working network to strengthen YMCAs in Europe, our Vision is a Europe where every person lives in harmony with self, with society and with creation.
Inspired by its Christian identity expressed in “Paris Basis”, YMCA Europe strengthens its members through:
Being relevant, coherent, and agile organisation, to best serve National YMCAs to enable them to address contemporary challenges affecting young people.
Being recognised as a youth focused organisation that represents the voice of young people across Europe and its mission empowers young people.
Building relationships, unifying the YMCA movement across Europe, maintaining open and transparent communication, and promoting a spirit of collaboration and joint working.
Building a resilient, transparent, financially sustainable, and well-resourced organisation to best serve its members.
Providing response in cooperation with its members and stakeholders, ensures adequate answer to any humanitarian crisis through recovery and reconciliation processes, guaranteeing the viability of the YMCAs in the countries affected.
YMCA Europe applies Movement Strengthening as the key approach for building capacity of National Movements in areas of governance, strategic planning, impact enhancement, human resources development and creation of new YMCAs in Europe.
YMCA Europe adheres to values of diversity, inclusion, respect, human rights and standing against all forms of discrimination.
Thematic Impact Pillars
Pledges by 2030
➔ By 2030 the YMCA will co-create, provide and advocate for high-quality, relevant and sustainable health and wellbeing solutions to young people and communities worldwide.
➔ The YMCA commits to creating, expanding and advocating meaningful, just and equitable education, training, employment and entrepreneurship opportunities in the transition to the new economies.
➔ The YMCA commits to become a Greener Movement, an active youth voice on climate justice and champion of youth-led sustainability solutions.
➔ The YMCA will become a global voice in the fight against systemic discrimination, inequity, injustice and racism in all its forms, amplifying the voices of young people and communities where it is active to ensure that everyone’s voice is heard.
2023-2026 as the first stage of implementation
Relevant, Resilient, Well-Resourced, Financially Sustainable, Inclusive, Transparent, Climate-neutral, Connecting
Safe, Inclusive, Developing, Enabling, Healthy, Empowering, Interacting
Just, Peaceful, Equitable, Inclusive, Sustainable, Green
Strategic Goal 1: OUR YMCA
Building Relevant, Resilient, Well-Resourced, Financially Sustainable, Inclusive, Transparent, Climate-neutral and Connecting YMCA
● YMCA adopts and promotes relevant policies and practices so that staff and volunteers at all levels work in a culture where individual, organisational and community wellbeing is a fundamental priority.
● YMCA adopts and promotes policies and practices to become a Movement where all its employees benefit from decent, meaningful, dignified and equitable work, as well as lifelong learning opportunities.
● YMCA takes steps towards becoming a climate-neutral Movement, building a roadmap that will allow all YMCAs to make measurable and meaningful progress in their policies and practices based on local realities.
● YMCA commits to adapt and promote policies, practices and programmes to become a truly equitable, diverse and inclusive Movement in the fight against all types of discrimination.
● YMCA Europe becomes a more relevant, coherent and agile organisation, to best serve National YMCAs to enable them to address contemporary challenges affecting young people.
● YMCA Europe unifies the YMCA movement across Europe, maintaining open and transparent communication and promoting a spirit of collaboration and joint working.
● YMCA Europe becomes a more resilient, transparent, financially sustainable and well-resourced organisation to best serve its Movement members.
● YMCA Europe builds its capacity by strengthening and promoting democratic governance, efficient management, people development, culture of meaningful partnership; by diversifying income sources and growing funding opportunities.
Strategic Goal 2: OUR COMMUNITIES
Developing Safe, Inclusive, Enabling, Healthy, Empowering and Interacting Communities
● YMCA strengthens and expands safe, inclusive spaces at all levels, empowering every person we serve to care for their physical, spiritual and mental health, and the broader wellbeing and resilience of their families and communities.
● YMCA supports and promotes sustainable education, upskilling, employment and entrepreneurship opportunities for young people and communities, with a focus on increasing their readiness for the Future of Work.
● YMCA inspires its members, staff, volunteers and community stakeholders to practice and champion environmental responsibility while also integrating climate education components for young people and communities in its programmes worldwide.
● YMCA empowers young people to become peace builders and transformative activists, leaders and advocates for diversity, equity, inclusion and social change.
● YMCA Europe in cooperation with its members and stakeholders, ensures adequate response to crisis in Europe through recovery and reconciliation approaches, guaranteeing the viability of the YMCAs in the countries affected by war and other conflicts.
● YMCA Europe supports National YMCAs to enable them to address contemporary challenges affecting young people.
● YMCA Europe strengthens internal and external networks and strategic relationships.
Strategic Goal 3: OUR EUROPE
Contributing to a Just, Peaceful, Equitable, Inclusive, Sustainable and Green Europe
● YMCA promotes policies and practices for keeping children and young people safe from harm, abuse and neglect at local, national and global levels.
● YMCA champions global solutions and policies to support a Just Transition to a Green Economy, making sure that no one is left behind as we work together towards the regeneration and protection of our Planet.
● YMCA amplifies the voices of young people and communities and advocates policies to ensure decent, flexible, meaningful and equitable access to employment, entrepreneurship and training opportunities.
● YMCA promotes peacebuilding, integration and reconciliation in Europe to ensure that all people, including vulnerable and marginalised communities, are treated with dignity and their voice is heard and acted upon.
● YMCA is recognised as a youth focused movement that represents the voice of young people across Europe.